View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Sorry canned hunts not my thing...If you really want pigs just put the in time, scout, and ask questions. Took me 3-4 scouting trips to lock down an area. Now we wait for snow!!

The next comments are not meant to inflammatory (they probably will be anyway) but to stimulate conversation...

It is time to close all game farms in Alberta and destroy the fenced animals. My opinion was fortified this week on my way out to hunt, when I saw Rocky Mountain Sheep being farmed east of Edmonton on the N side of HWY 14 just before Lindbrook. Saddest thing I have seen when a stately creature like that is reduced to a fenced in, non-native habitat. With some investigation into this I have discovered that although the meat is tasty, but the rams are being farmed mostly for their Horns to be sold. As well on many game farms, the vegetation has been overgrazed and the land eroded. If the farms are located near any water source than water quality becomes an issue because of siltation and contamination. This also a problem in bad practiced beef farming but easier to fix as you can more easily move animals out of problem areas due to the fencing issue. If we can't stop game farms than at least new rules should be adopted for double fencing with a 6 foot buffer between, to reduce contact with our wild stock. Which by the way is one of the number one ways that CWD is contracted by our wild ungulates. At last, any damage caused by escaped game animals from these farms should fall back on the owners instead of the taxpayers. Just a few thoughts to stimulate healthy conversation.
If it's the game farm I am thinking of he has been around for years and has raised mule and whitetail deer, elk, buffalo though never seen sheep there.