Thread: Cold Lake
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 07:05 PM

I've caught 2 keepers in 2 trips this year. Only around 15 lakers total as I spent most of those trips targeting pike and walleye. That is by far my best year for catching keeper size lakers but I would say a significant part of that is luck.

My average is probably closer to 30 or so fish per keeper the last few years. It seems I usually get one at every trip or two.

If you are catching 50-100 fish a day and never any keepers then you need to stop targeting the herds of smaller fish and try some different spots. If you are catching a keeper every 10 fish then you are either lucky or know how to target the bigger lakers/avoid the smaller ones.

Fishing hasn't changed much for me the last few years. Lots of smaller fish 20-26 inches, a decent amount up to 29 in and the odd keeper size up to around 32.5 in. I am yet to catch anything bigger then that out of Cold although I do know the odd one still gets caught. I haven't played around too much trying to target bigger fish since I am usually in my kayak and target numbers of fish instead.