View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Just for the hell of it some time, get a postal scale and a handful of different 5 wt lines. Weigh out, in grains, the first 30' of each line and compare. You'll be shocked at the weight difference between lines, which is also why one line will "feel" better casting over another line.
I know this to be true about the differences in similarly marked lines.

TFO claims that Lefty designed their Signature Series rods, so I assume that Lefty likes a medium action deep flex rod. I have several TFO Signature series around the house for loaners and you certainly wouldn't want to over line them under any circumstances. In fact they become pretty much powered out on Rio Grand.

On the other hand, I also have several Redingtons that all cast nicer over lined.

So to say that what is written on a rod may or may not be what is best suited to that rod and that different brands or even runs of the same brand of lines may differ is common knowledge.

Now to take a good six wt and step down two line sizes because it is windy or to over line a good 4wt two line sizes because you are fishing a small stream seems a little out there.

Again I have not tried this. I generally find the line I like on a rod and stick with it.

If someone wants to bet they can cast my 6wt z-axis better on a windy day with 4 wt line, because of less wind resistance, then with 6 wt line I have cash and time.