View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Old Lefty would have to cast better with 4wt line on my 6wt than he could with 6wt line on my 6wt as per my post and the link provided. On a windy day no less.

Nothing against Lefty, just believe a little more in Einstein and alike.
Actually there is some science in Lefty's theory,,,, over lining a rod in effect slows the rod's action and allows it to fully load with less line out the tip top, hence shorter casts are easier. The rod becomes a mid flex rod which most casters find easier to cast.

Conversely an underlined rod will carry more line outside of the tip top before it collapses. Underlining a rod turns the rod into a tip caster allowing tighter loops which will also carry better into the wind. Add to the equation there is less air drag on a thinner line. Underlining (tip casting) requires more skill from the caster in regards to timing, stroke length, and the ability to carry a long line while false casting. but in a nutshell, this is the same theory behind tournament distance casting.

Now to make an apples to apples comparison, you also need to understand that a 4 wt line was not designed to carry as large a fly as a 6 wt line. So in your distance competition with Lefty (6 wt rod / 4 wt line) and MK (6 wt rod / 6 wt line), if both of you used a #4 2 inch long sofa pillow, you might hold your own,,, but if both of you were using #14 light cahills, Lefty would take the money.

Another way and perhaps better way for most of us "less than perfect casting" anglers to beat the wind is to "up rod",,, that is change up to a matched rod / line combo 7 or 8 wt if you had been fishing a 6 wt. It is easier in this case to feel the rod load and make good casts. Generally a 50 - 60 foot cast into the wind is about as good as most of us can expect. Most 7- 8 wt rods can carry that much line with out collapsing and the heavier 7-8 wt line carries more energy to straighten out.