View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Actually there is some science in Lefty's theory,,,, over lining a rod in effect slows the rod's action and allows it to fully load with less line out the tip top, hence shorter casts are easier. The rod becomes a mid flex rod which most casters find easier to cast.

Conversely an underlined rod will carry more line outside of the tip top before it collapses. Underlining a rod turns the rod into a tip caster allowing tighter loops which will also carry better into the wind. Add to the equation there is less air drag on a thinner line. Underlining (tip casting) requires more skill from the caster in regards to timing, stroke length, and the ability to carry a long line while false casting. but in a nutshell, this is the same theory behind tournament distance casting.

Now to make an apples to apples comparison, you also need to understand that a 4 wt line was not designed to carry as large a fly as a 6 wt line. So in your distance competition with Lefty (6 wt rod / 4 wt line) and MK (6 wt rod / 6 wt line), if both of you used a #4 2 inch long sofa pillow, you might hold your own,,, but if both of you were using #14 light cahills, Lefty would take the money.

Another way and perhaps better way for most of us "less than perfect casting" anglers to beat the wind is to "up rod",,, that is change up to a matched rod / line combo 7 or 8 wt if you had been fishing a 6 wt. It is easier in this case to feel the rod load and make good casts. Generally a 50 - 60 foot cast into the wind is about as good as most of us can expect. Most 7- 8 wt rods can carry that much line with out collapsing and the heavier 7-8 wt line carries more energy to straighten out.
No where did MK say that he could cast any rod with any line better than Lefty. The comparison was the same person using a 4wt line on a 6wt z-axis rod compared to a 6wt line on a 6wt z-axis rod.

This also is not a distance only competition. It is cast better with accuracy being a factor as well.

Top end rod designers make rods to get the appropriate distance with the appropriate line wt. I believe that sometimes they over do it and the rod will load and cast better with heavier line but this is more likely due to a lack of casting ability on my part. I have not seen the opposite in my limited experience.

Your example of the 7 or 8wt combo proves this point. If the rod is designed properly it will load and launch it's designated line wt perfectly. The heavier the line the longer the cast and ability to fight wind. If the line is too heavy or too light for the rod this theory falls apart.

Perhaps in a rod designed like the Lefty TFO Signature Series there could be an argument that a lighter line is better. What this is really saying, is that you have a 5 or 6wt rod that only has enough back bone to cast 4wt line.

If you look at a rod design like Sage, you put the right size line on it and expect maximum distance and superior performance at all distances.