View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Shooting heads aside,,,, the key to maximum distance (and accuracy too) is the ability to carry a long line outside the tip. ( Some "tournament" fly lines have 75 foot heads.) All fly rods at some point will "collapse" if you try to carry too much weight outside the tip. many rods today can handle a range of 3 - 4 line weights. So all other things being equal, a lighter (thinner) line will allow the caster to carry more line outside the tip than a heavier line.

Distance casting and casting into the wind are not the same thing,,, but if have the mechanics (double haul, stroke length and timing) to go the distance, you will be able to punch flylines into the wind much easier.
The article is on a Scientific Angler web site designed to sell more line. The vast majority of people have one rod (a 5 or 6wt) and one line that lasts them one to several season. This sucks for company profits so they have Lefty suggest you have several lines for your rod.

A light line will perform poorly on a modern fast action rods under the vast majority of circumstances. This is especially true between 20-60 ft where most fish are caught. Light lining a rod so you might cast 80 ft while sacrificing medium and short performance is insane and nothing more than a sales pitch. For a distance competition only with a specially designed line it might work but it still makes absolutely no sense for fishing.

Lets pretend I have three rods. A medium action 8.5 4wt for streams and small dry flies, a fast action 9' 6wt for rivers and still waters under normal conditions, and an extra fast 9' 8wt for big fish and/or windy conditions.

Using the logic of the link provided, I should put the 4wt line on the 6wt if it gets windy or the 6wt line on the 8wt??? If I am going stream fishing I should huck the 4wt trout taper and go with 6wt or put 8wt line on my 6 wt???

If you want to put a size light line on your rods that is your decision. Or like Lefty says; get several of these $50-$90 lines and experiment. It is just bad advice for the vast majority of people and meant to sell more line to people that don't need it.

My offer still stands if anyone wants to cast 4wt line better on my z than the 6 wt it is designed for.