View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Obviously if you are trying to throw heavy streamers that are overloading your rod one could compensate with a lighter line.

The article makes no mention of that. The article states that during windy condition you can gain more distance into the wind by choosing a lighter line.

In regards to my z-axis challenge, I was not thinking one would be throwing flies designed for a 8 or 9 wt salt water rod.

I would recommend for you, having thrown a few thousand streamers at salmon, that you move up to the proper rod weight for the flies you want to present. I have seen dozens of newbie salmon fishers with big streamers embedded in them because they were underlined when a gust of wind hits their line. You may have the experience to "chuck and duck" but it is bad advise for an open forum.
Well first of all,I'm not talking about chucking heavy streamers that are overloading a rod,I'm talking about gaining distance by underlining an 8wt with 6 or 7 line,thus carrying more line outside of the tip when false casting before shooting for the backing.
Secondly,for the most part I'm referring to Atlantic salmon fishing where A)extra distance is often an advantage on the larger rivers.
B)I'm using an appropriately matched rod,....and C)I'm never chucking heavy streamers,weighted flies are in fact illegal for Atlantic salmon.For the most part I'm talking about casting un-weighted hairwing wets,bugs,and dries in the sz 2-8 range.Underlining my 8wt with 6-7 line makes it easier to pick up and false cast 50-60' of line when you're trying to shoot for a lie 80-100' away and longer casts simply swing thru more water and cover a pool more thoroughly.

Now that said,I've seen some excellent casters that can fire an entire 100' 8wt line to the backing while casting with either hand.Personally speaking,I'm doing well to reach 100' with my dominant right arm,including my 12' leader on a good day with a light downstream breeze and cheating down to a 7wt line,but then I've only been trying stretch it to the backing for 25years,I probly just need a lil more practice?