View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Hate to bust the bubble but line weight for any rod is the OPINION of the manufacturer. How do I know that - 'cause I make them. Note the word make! I tell any purchaser that this is what I think the rod likes for line weight however, the purchaser's opinion may be different than mine and is no less valid.
I remember a guy who bought a 2 wt. and couldn't cast it worth crap. He left it for me to see what I could do. All it took was a five weight line to make the rod work well. He wasn't pleased.
The message here is use whatever line weight does the job for YOU!

Don
You are not busting any bubbles as we are already aware that one must find the right line for a particular rod regardless of what is written on the rod or on the box the line came in.

Our discussion, if you read the link, is the effects of changing lines on one rod for different circumstances or conditions. For the sake of the conversation we were assuming a properly marked rod and lines.

It is my opinion that casting the heaviest line the rod will handle will maximize distance and control when casting long in windy conditions. The added weight will keep the line on track bucking the wind and that a heavier object in motion is harder to slow down using the laws of physics.

The other opinion (as Lefty promotes in the link) is to drop one or even two line weights. The logic is that a person can have 10 or 15 ft more line outside the tip when casting without over powering the rod, that the rod will load as usual with this extra length of line, and that the thinner line will cut through the wind better adding distance to the cast.

I would like to hear your opinion on this.