View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 02:13 PM
jrs

If you can get peroxide thats the best. Otherwise (follow carefully, the skull will be damaged if too much is used in the bleach step) fill bucket up with boiling hot water, put in a ton of dish soap, put skull in and let sit over night (antlers can go under, no worry this step), remove, rinse in hot water. Then fill bucket with boiling hot water only put about a 1/2 cup of bleach in per 10 litres of water, let sit overnight (don't let antlers touch bleach, they turn white, i generally put a chunk of cloth on the skull cap along the bases which will get wet with the bleach solution. Does a good job. Thats how i do them. The get really nice and white (don't judge by the one i've posted on here thats kind of grey (in tagging discussion now but has been on before), i shot that deer in the head and a lot of glue was used for the euro mount). Hope that helps. If you nervous about the bleach use less before more, too much eats away at the bone, more doesn't mean whiter (will be in short term than you notice white powder under it, in weeks you'll lose a ton of skull, they look terrible). I experimented with this a ton growing up, i've cleaned 100's of skulls and thats the fully revised method.
This is my brothers buck last year, i'm a big fan of skull mounts.

The one on the right is what happens if the garage fuse goes out when its half boiled and it freezer into an icecube. I did recolor the antlers after the photo was taken (if you have a accident and get some bleach on them not a big deal, pm me)

These are some i did when i was younger. Skipping dish soap can lead to the grey or yellow and the coyote on the right is one i soaked in way too much bleach. The big badger is one of the first ones i used this method on, those can be tough skulls to get nice and white.

jrs

Last edited by jrs; 11-11-2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Add more bleach warning!!