Thread: 7mm accuracy
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 03:10 PM

I'm going to try and do this without writing a novel. Firstly, some guns just don't like some types/weights/brands of ammo. I had a .270, that I tried desperately to get it to like Winchester 130 grain ammo. 4-5" groups was the best I could ever get using that set up. Finally, I got tired of defining insanity. "Doing the same thing but expecting different results" I bought some Federal 130 grain ammo the old value pack stuff, and headed to the range. Groups shrunk dramatically, to right around the 1" mark.

I have heard a lot of stories, no first hand experience myself, but lurk around these forums for a number of years, you learn stuff. Anyway some people talk about their 30-06 not shooting 165 grain bullets very well but get excellent results with 180 grain. Some guns just like different bullet weights.

If I was in your shoes, and you are set on 175 grain ammo, try a different brand. If Winchester ammo is where your heart is, try a different weight/style bullet.

I also shoot a 7MM Mag. and haven't found mine to be overly fussy, but all I have fed it have been 160/162 grain bullet reloads. I don't know if I got lucky right off the bat or not, but I don't recall people complaining about the 7being fussy either.

Of course, there is always the check to make sure scope rings/bases are tight.

And in the grand scheme of things 2" on a hunting rifle will be accurate enough to kill out as far as most people should be shooting anyhow.

I'm sure others will chime in as well.