Thread: 7mm accuracy
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtennex View Post
Don't be happy with 2" groups. A bullet 1" low and a bit left, say, and one 1" high and a bit right @ 100 yards aren't even close to being within 6" of each other at 300. 7mm Rem Mag is the finest long range conventional caliber there is, IMHO, and should be capable of legit 4"- 6" groups at 400 yds.
X2

I had quite a bit of trouble getting a hunting load for my new savage last year. I was expecting much better out of the box accuracy. It ended up shooting AMAXs to 0.6" which is great but that doesn't help much outside of the range. Best I managed from handloads was just over an inch. Probably good enough.

Like you said, it is a confidence thing. As above, 2" at 100 technically means a dead deer out to 300 but there are so many other variables (like a lack of a bulls eye) that you really want better. Since you aren't handloading, your best bet is to try different manufacturers/bullet weights etc. Luckily, from a terminal ballistics point of view, just about anything out there will work. Just keep trying and see what the gun likes.