Thread: tipup tip
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
You leave the bail open! I did not explain that, but yes, the bail is left open so the fish can run with the bait. Its not usually necessary with walleye, but with pike of any size its absolutely vital. The ones I make with the spool and the flag are better if you are fishing in a tent, because a bell can be put on the flag.

For pike, I just bank on them wanting an anchovy under a jigging tip-up, 99 percent of the time that jiggling anchovy will catch more pike than whatever I'm doing with my jigging rod. With walleye its not quite as consistent, but the tip-ups still pick up more fish in a season than the rods do. YMMV obviously.
I prefer baitcasting reels for herring so Ive switched to mono on them because it doesnt freeze to itself like braid and make you lose a very good reel and line and swear a lot I find sometimes even with them freespooling if they arent locked into the holder the bigger pike can run so fast they still pull the rod in. Today I had one hit my tipup so hard it was spinning on the pail lid and I could hear it . I swear the fish was running so fast there was smoke coming off the spool! only a very fat 37 incher nothing to get excited about, altho Im very glad I put my gloves on first, I have 50 pound braid on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200228_171804.jpg (39.1 KB, 77 views)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich