Thread: tipup tip
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I prefer baitcasting reels for herring so Ive switched to mono on them because it doesnt freeze to itself like braid and make you lose a very good reel and line and swear a lot I find sometimes even with them freespooling if they arent locked into the holder the bigger pike can run so fast they still pull the rod in. Today I had one hit my tipup so hard it was spinning on the pail lid and I could hear it . I swear the fish was running so fast there was smoke coming off the spool! only a very fat 37 incher nothing to get excited about, altho Im very glad I put my gloves on first, I have 50 pound braid on it
Curious if you've ever tried anchovies? Not trying to start a debate just interested in others experiences with various pike dead baits. I've used smelt, herring, mackerel, and have come to prefer anchovies myself.

Anchovies aren't as big as herring (my second fav), and they wont stay on the hook for as many casts. They stink to high heaven though, and I've found my hook up percentage is generally better than with herring. I salt mine to keep them a bit more firm.