View Single Post
Old 03-08-2024, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
Having worked with biologist (and other professionals as well) most of my working life, I have observed a few changes:

- older bio's are hands on types, they started with school that has them out in the field, learning. Then they worked from the ground up, working their way up through the ranks and learned from others as well as applying what they think would work. They used the tools that were on hand to make the best "guess" of what was going on at the time. They did the best they could with what they had, including a budget.

- now days, most of them are book taught and a lot of them are more interested in get carpel tunnel running computer program after program than getting mud on their boots/waders. There is a butt load of programs out there that will tell them what they want to here/see. AND, the ones that do want to do the real work in the field get hamstrung by both the book taught and the politicians who have cut their budget to peanuts.

It seems that the good ones have been scooped up by private industry and the book taught ones are working for the government, making all the decisions that will affect all of us down the road. There is some good ones still left, but most of them are close to retirement.

They pump them out of the schools with huge debts and no direction on what to do. This is for a lot of professionals; book taught and no real world experience.

Cheers

SS
I would agree with pretty much everything in this post but there is still some good new ones but not many