View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
Its actually funny the people defending the lack of enforcement......
IMO in a free society enforcement should be always at a minimum. The assumption should always be that the people are following rules and regs. Fishing should be for the people, not enforcement agents.

Of course I understand the position that it should be assumed people are breaking the law because some people break the laws. Or even everyone will break the law if no one agrees with the laws. I've had friends and co-workers who have come to Canada from such places and it takes them a while to see the benefits of assuming people innocent. Part of those benefits is not having to tax people as much and being able to allocate resources elsewhere.

Of course such a system is only possible when people feel invested in the country and when government is listening to them or at least the majority when deciding the laws. Once people feel governments are not listening not acting in the interests of it's citizens then respect for all laws will decline.

Which is why some countries have such heavy enforcement for everything and may in part be why Western societies are also moving towards more police state not less.

So while I defend the lack of enforcement I suspect your position or ideas are increasing in acceptance and with that a need for more enforcement may be called for. You might be right, the lack of overt enforcement may not only discourage reporting but encourage people to act as if the cat's away.

Pity, that democracy idea was meant to prevent that. Oh well times change and these are interesting times.