View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
Nope, just got off the horn Barnes reps say with the 139, it will open completely at 1300 and partially at lower velocities. The higher weights are for losses lead has, but with copper, the LRX retains 100% of the weight. The 139LRX was designed specifically for the 7mm Rem Mag. It has been tested for Deer, Moose, and Elk out to 1,000 yards. Either whether I go with the 7 or 300 rum, the extra barrel length of 27.5" will give me around 250-300 fps greater than the load data at 24".

calculating.... using Nosler load data, and 68 grains of r-22 complete burn @27.5". the velocity will then be 3540+. at 1000 yards it will be 1708 fps, or 400fps more than rated.

what I have learned in this exercise, the old ways of thinking do not apply anymore, with the new weight retention, heavy bullets are not needed, and speed really does kill. We need to re-examine how we reload....

I am leaning heavily toward the 7mm Rem Mag, because I'm used to it and the 300 RUM kick is probably a bit much for this lazy ass.
The LRX will open at 1400 - 2500 fps as verified multiple times by Conlee Luke in the ballistics lab at Barnes that I talk to at least monthly, the TTSX opens at 1800 fps on the low end and the TSX is in the 2000 fps range.

Now that we have verified what bullet you are actually talking about, we can make some progress here.

The LRX will open beyond 1000 yards in your set up.

At 1000 yards you are talking about 237.35" of drop or 22.67 MOA. assuming a 3350 fps velocity which is safely realistic given that the highest load listed by Barnes is 3199 fps. Please do not use just any old Nosler data to load Barnes bullets. They are not always interchangeable.

I'd say that if your scope has enough adjustment then you are good. I can't remember what you said you were running on it for glass.

The RUM on the other hand drops down below 1800 FPS at the 775-785 FPS mark assuming a 3900 FPS MV. Ethically that should be the limit for that round.

FWIW I have been loading strictly Barnes bullets for hunting for almost 15 years. I am well aware of the weight issues and what exactly that bullet can do. They are killers!

I have learned to detest recoil. I'd personally shoot the 7 now that I know you are looking at shooting the LRX.

Last edited by Cowtown guy; 11-09-2017 at 10:28 PM.