View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Hey guys. I have just entered into the world of smoking. I purchased a Master Forge propane smoker from Lowes and just wondering if you guys have any experience with them?

I seasoned it as per the booklet instructions. I'm currently doing some baby backs in it before I try a 6lb pork shoulder next week. I can't seem to get the temp below 225. I have a digital thermometer mounted on one of the grills. I have the exhaust all the way open on the top, the dial turned all the way down and the side vents wide open. I can only get it down to about 240. Also should the wood chips burn right to ash. The recipie I'm following suggested 4oz of wood. Once thats done smoking do another 4oz and leave it. Should the wood be ash or charcoal when I'm done? There is no more smoke and it's been going for about 1hr15mins.
If your propane smoke has difficulty holding a low temperature on the lowest setting-then you may have to set the flame height visually.
If your smoker has lo-med -high settings you may be able to feather the control between High and Off.
Light the smoker and set to high-have the door open so that you can visually see the burner.
SLOWLY turn the dial towards off while watching the flame height. You should be able to manually set the flame height lower in this fashion. Go too far and it will close the valve and extinguish the flame.
Once you have the right height-mark the smoker body with a Sharpie adjacent to the dial so that you can duplicate the result.
You may need to invert the wood chip rack to lower the chip holder closer to the burner as the flame will be much lower.

Biggest downfall of propane smokers are that any temp adjustment impacts burn rate of the wood chips.