View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
If you are concerned about safety, you would know that you are more likely to have a 'gun-related' accident than use it to protect your family from the abominable snowman, sleeping bears, or rabid wolves.

Just look at the stats.
I have complete confidence in my safe handling of firearms, I have no worries that I might hurt someone, even by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBusa View Post
Don't mean to sound disrespectful but this is what I never understand. I have travelled and hiked BC backcountry from the west coast to the Kootenays, the Yukon boarder to Washington State. BC has more black bears, grizzlies and wolves than anywhere in North America outside Alaska. Also, a ton of cougar and other predators. I have never carried a gun, not even while out hiking the Stikine Plateau. Never seen a grizzly, nor a cougar. They don't like you as much as you don't like them. Certainly no need to worry about grizzlies in the middle of winter.

If you read the statistics Albertans die in droves in BC avalanches, but never have I heard of a predator killing someone while out show shoeing or skiing.
As the previous poster spelled out you are probably more likely to die "protecting" yourself with a firearm. I advocate using your head. If your family is at risk don't go. Don't go out in the wilderness to drink coco and then a need to defend them. The facts just doesn't support the rationale.
Just because it has never happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have never been in a vehicle accident in 30 years, should I no longer wear my seat belt (and yes I know statistically this is much more likely to happen). I also keep road side emergency equipment in my truck, never needed it. I lock the doors of my house at night too, never been broken in too. I even have a home alarm system. Are you seeing my point? I realize firearms have a potential hazard involved in their use compared to these other safe guards I've listed, but not if they are used in a responsible manor. It's no skin off my back to throw my 12ga in my pack along with *SHOCK* all my other safety and survival emergency gear, so why not have it. A shotgun can also be a great tool for signaling in case of an emergency too!

And btw, anytime you do any kind of backcountry hiking, snow mobiling etc there is a risk factor, not just because of predators. How is providing myself options to deal with potential risks not "using my head"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
kories83 - your fears make you sound like a guy whose from the States.
Fear is not a factor in any of this, its just situational preparedness. We prepare for the unexpected in all sorts of ways everyday of our lives, how is this any different? Does wearing your seat belt mean you are afraid to drive down the street?

I'm not sure how this thread got so side tracked. I am not some kind of paranoid trigger happy Rambo wanna-be nut job. I'm not running through the woods looking for an excuse to blast random animals. My shotgun fits in my hiking pack just as easily as all my other hiking gear, which includes first-aid, survival, and safety gear, so I carry it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to run into problems with hunting laws etc, carrying it.