View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Default New to Hunting - not new to life or the outdoors - would appreciate someone showing me some local expertise

Hi all.

I am a 50 year old Kiwi guy; have been in Canada for 17 years, but still have the accent and still don't understand Canadian football.

I live in Calgary, but try to get out of it as often as possible... I like anything that nature can show us... I am an experienced fisherman, whether its with a fly on a stream, a hoochi for a salmon or something more colorful for game, I have fished around the world. Experienced boat guy, having grown up on the ocean both with power and sail boats - even crossed a big chunk of the pacific in a yacht race a few moons ago. Anyway, all that means is I am not afraid of either blood on my jeans or dirt under my nails.

I am new to hunting and keen to learn more about waterfowl, deer and anything else that tastes good. I am very much a meat eater and I love knowing what I put on the grill.

I have the gear, and happy to get what else I need... I am comfortable standing behind a gun and can put it in the dot.

If there is or are some hunters out there that want to hear a few kiwi jokes around a fire or even better on a trail, drop me a note or give me a call. I'll even buy the first cold one.

I would prefer to hunt south of Calgary but I really am more interested in meeting someone I can learn from and try some areas. I have some knowledge of the Longview area down to Old Man river (where I have often fished) but I have not hunted, so really I am just more interested in getting out there.

As for waterfowl, I have hunted some duck a few times and not as much of a newbie - but I do not know where to go here, so a companion here would be great.

Mitch