View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 01:09 PM

Day 2 of year 3 (1st year hunting with the bow) was my day this year.

Last Monday my hunting partner and I cow called 3 bulls up a creek and this guy was the first to climb far enough up the creek for us to get set up on him.

We called back and forth from the ridge from about 400 yards away. Once we had a decent idea of where they were we dropped halfway down the creek. My partner set up about 70 yards behind me and after a good 20 minutes we got him up to 40 yards from me. I think he spotted my partner as he got within eye shot because he stared right at us as he approached. After about 3 (long-ass) minutes another elk further down the creek bugled and he turned to reply and I was able to come to full draw. As soon as I came to full draw he looked back in our direction. I waited probably 3 more minutes at full draw and he finally turned broadside to us as he let out a long bugle. I punched him a touch high but got good penetration. We waited 45 minutes and started following the blood trail. He ran about 150 yards down to the creek and about 80 yards up the other side. He was still alive but unable to move at all. I hit him a 2nd time in the neck and he was dead.

We processed the meat ourselves as we always do and we got 324lbs of quality protein from him. We spent the time and did the euro mount too, just need to pick up a Skull Hooker and he'll be up in the shop!

It was not perfect and I know where improvements can be made, but it was one of the craziest things I've ever done in my life and I still can't believe I got it done!