View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 AM

I will reserve my opinion on the allegations in which this person has been charged, for the simple fact that there has already been enough cop bashing and comments made about police actions and why the police would lay charges ect.

I deal with enough b.s. for 12 hours of my shift, and I dont need to come here for personal attacks based on my occupation. I will say this however, I can empathasize with this male, but dont agree with how this all went down. Now don't get me worng, I agree with the previous posters who commented about the personal violation and frustration of having theives or any criminal for that matter come on your property in order to commit a crime. At the end of the day though, this crime was simply a "property" offense. I have been victimized myself (hell, we all probably have at one point or another), but is it "worth it" in the end to do what this person did? I cant answer that, time will tell.

Bitch all u want about the police doing nothing ect, but the reality is our judicial system is designed to avoid scenarios such as this. We have law enforcement who's responsibility it is to investigate offenses such as this so the property owner doesnt have to get involved. I am all for protecting your own property, but how does one "legally justify" shooting someone fleeing away with a shotgun?

This person posed no articulable threat to the home owner, based on what has been released thru the media thus far, and emotions aside, u simply can not plug a guy with a firearm cuz ur "****ed off, upset, frustrated, violated" or any emotion. Believe me, if i could, my job would be a lot more rewarding.

So many people have commented on saying that they would have done the same thing, but I highly doubt many would. I base this on experience as I am the one often responding to complaints like this and have yet to attend a scene where a person has been shot while trying to steal something.

The issue is now before the courts, I will be surprised if the matter actually goes to trial by a jury. It will likely be judge alone. People have no idea the amount of grief this guy has caused himself. The stress, emotional and physical, monetary costs it will end up costing, ect, are things many people dont ever consider when posting on these forums. I have no doubt that once this starts to sink in, the guy will be wishing he would have simply called the rcmp and let them deal with it.

As to why the person was charged with to begin with is simple. The police have to remain impartial and cant let their personal feelings or beliefs dictate whether or not we will lay charges. This person has made a complaint feeling that (right or wrong) he was assaulted. The police have to investigate. We can only gather the evidence before us and make a determination based on the current law, whether a criminal code offense has been committed. Plain and simple. There was obviously enough reasonable and probable grounds for charges to be laid (7 in fact). The matter is now before the courts, as it should be.

It isnt up to the police to determine guilt or innocense, simply whether or not an offense has been committed. The courts can determine if he is guilty or not. Too many people are throwing their opinions based on knowing little actual "facts" about this matter or any actual knowledge based on the criminal code. Simply saying what should have been done based on feelings and emotions doesnt cut it. There are so many things going on behind the scenes and steps of a investigation of this magnitute that led to charges being laid.

This person is presumed innocent until proven guilty, so leave it at that.