View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 10:10 AM

I built it out of 2x6 spruce. In retrospect I should have gone with 2x4 as some of these boards were badly warped. I had tie straps and come-alongs trying to get them as straight as possible. I ended up covering it in 1/4 inch plywood in order to cover up the gaps from the warped boards. I used 1x1 boards for the shelves. I got the seal for the door from a fireplace store. I use round 3/4 inch wood for hanging sausage.

The burner is from a fish fryer-it's smaller then the turkey fryer burners. I cut down the legs on the burner. The gas inlet is in the fresh air pipe coming in so that the fresh air cools the gas inlet line. The line is wrapped in fiberglass and reflective heat tape. Even without these I turned up the heat so the internal temp was over 300 and the gas line wasn't even warm to the touch. I use a small cast iron pan to burn the chips in. The bottom is a pre cut piece of sheet metal that I can take out and clean as the need arises. I had tried to make a baffle for more even heat dispersion but it didn't work out well hence the burn marks above the first set of shelves that I am going to take off.

I have a temp. gauge about 3/4 of the way up for internal temp of the smoker.

I can control heat and smoke with these.

Have an external thermometer with a probe for whatever is in the smoker.

It is 6 and 1/2 feet tall. The bottom/burner is a foot up from the bottom. The internal dimensions are 32x31 inches and I use about 4 feet of the height. I've done over 30lbs of sausage and over 20lbs of jerky at a time with it.