View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Any tips on locating and rigging for those sturgeon. I would love to catch one I have gone down and tried a couple times with no luck.
Well one thing, owning a jet boat and being able to move around is a huge help. And also finding what they are biting on is key I think. The first day I was using store bought minnows and worms with no luck and managed to get some “locally sourced bait” as my son called on the second day, which I think helped.

On day 1 I anchored in a hole and wasn’t getting a bite and another boat anchored just below me where I was earlier and hooked a dino within the first 2 minutes.. As much as I was bummed I didn’t hook one, I felt positive that I was finding the right holes and maybe it was bait that was the difference..??

I use 7’6” and 8’ rods, 6000 series spinning reels spooled with 50 lb braid, a slip weight setup with a swivel and about a 25” of 40lb Dacron leader, I wouldn’t use any lighter line than that myself.

I have fished several times on the Fraser with guides and have learned a lot from them which has given me a lot more confidence to go out on my own.