View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I've got a 30-06, but it's an older winchester handed down from my father. Although with the bushnell scope it's still tight groups past 250yds. I use it for hunting, but wouldn't take it backpacking due to the length and weight.

I'd like to have somthing that would fit in the pack till I'm away from main trails etc. I carry bear spray which is accesible at all times. My main concern is at night when the 'boogyman' comes out. I've had several bears come through camp at night which is when I'd like to have the reassurance of somthing more than bear spray. We do everything properly, cook away from the tent, change clothes, hang our food in airtight container 200yds away... all of that stuff. This is very much for a 'just in case' and a psycological reassurance. Well, that and for the last few years I use earplugs. If I'm going to be bear bait at least I'm rested. Sick of hearing every twig snap and the wind rustling the trees keeping me awake all night.

So far, I think I'm leaning towards the pistol grip maverick 12ga. at wholesale sports. http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlin...ory=1012000802

I don't know, but I been told...these are too hard to aim adequately. Even at short distances. Better to have something you can shoulder. Quickly. The proof will be in the pudding at the range. Try hitting a pie plate with one at 10-15 yds. from the hip.