View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
from what I have "heard". C-I-L had the Imperial brand, high base brass for geese, late season ducks etc., and the Canuck, low base brass, for field shooting and upland loads, their Maxum was brought out in the mid-late sixties as a fit between the two, Cat could fill us in better about the parent co. names, but these are specific brands within the same company line, be it Dominion, etc., I beleive Cat has some history in his family with the Dominion Cartridge Co. kind of like their .22's were Super Clean, (expensive) and Whiz- Bang, (cheaper)
I know a bit about the Dominion Cartridge company.

I know it was started in 1886 by Lieutenant A.L. Howard (Gat) formerly of the Connecticut National Guard, who operated one of the Gatling guns at the Riel Rebellion. battle of Batoche.

I know that there were two companies under his control at the turn of the century.

Dominion Cartridge Company, an ammunition manufacture that used the headstamp, D.C.Co and then later, simply Dominion. Later they changed that to Imperial.

Headstamps they used were,

D. C. Co for the Dominion Cartridge company 1886 to 1947
Dominion 1948 to 1966

CIL 1955 to 1966
DAC for military ammo. It stood for Dominion Arsenal
DC An alternate to D. C. Co 1886 to 1955
Eaton's for obvious reasons 1946 to 1955
Gevelot produced for the French company, Fabrique Gevelot
Imperial 1965 to 1988
Canuck 1955 to 1965
IVI formerly DAC 1967 to 1980

And the produced military ammunition for the Ross rifle company with a headstamp; R. R. Co from 1914 to 1919

The other company was CIL, Canadian Industries Limited. They produced explosives.