View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
I'm curious to known how much damage is caused by idling a diesel all night as compared to starting it in the morning when plugged in and using quality oils. The amount of condensation in that motor after running all night would be significant and would run into corrosion problems. IMO you're probably better off running good oil, plugging it in minimize idle time. Happy owner, happy neighbours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You bring up one of the most important aspects of cold starting. QUALITY OIL!!! 0W40 full synthetic is a must and a great oil. 0W30 is very good too.

If the unit was run hot and parked and allowed to idle it would likely idle warm enough to evaporate and not build up condensation. Especially if a weather front is used.

A block heater, good oil, and 10 minutes idle time and you're laughing.

At -10C I would never leave anything idle all night. At -53C idling might be a better option. Especially on heavier trucks or equipment. A buggy requires more torque to turn over its oil pumps when cold, than the engine itself. Starting a buggy at that temp requires a herculean effort.