View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
Thank you all. I have picked a rifle, from a member. Decided to go the 45/70 route.
Probably try find a low power 1.5x5 scope after.
Once again thank you all
I like the 45-70 myself, and have a good Marlin. Buy an older JM Marlin if you can, preferably a pre cross bolt safety gun. I have heard the quality declined somewhat on the new guns, with a really bad run on the new ones just after the Remington buy out. I'd maybe even look for one from the 70s.

What happened is; the machinery to make the guns has been wearing out for decades, and there were no blue prints to make a Marlin rifle. They were all hand fitted. After they bought out the factory, they had worn out equipment, and moved the factory to another city, and had no old Marlin craftsmen.

Sounds like perhaps the new ones now may be better. Remington had to start from scratch and draw up blueprints starting with the 336 style guns. They now have a dedicated Marlin factory within a factory.

I have a low mounted Nikon "Slug Hunter" on mine, but it is still a bit high on a straight grip gun. Look for a semi pistol grip gun as there is less drop at the "comb" and the butt stock is aligned closer with the bore. I like 2-7 power, and find that 2 is very quick on target. If you look up the scope specs, you'll find eye relief. Then when you mount it mount just far enough forward that you start to see the black ring starting to bracket the view; this forces you to align the scope (as you aim) to nullify parallax errors.

A peep sight like a Skinner may help you also.

Do you reload? The price on factory 45-70 is quite high now. Nice to be able to buy cast or pour your own as well.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!