View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 02:25 PM

Default Grouse numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
If you don't agree with the extended season do your part and don't utilize it. Stay at home...sell your shotguns. I enjoy the extra 6 weeks out there immensely. Does it mean all the serious upland hunters are bagging an extra 200 birds per season? Absolutely not. Some of us are conservatively minded and 1 single wingshot is all that is needed to call the outing a complete success. Get a dog, there's plenty of birds to be hunted in east central Alberta.
I have 2 labs that are my hunting companions, both are excellent. What I’m saying is that the populations are way down in my area. I wouldn’t have the heart to shoot an upland bird around here. That being said, I did see two ruffles this morning while deer hunting. They were the first ones I’ve seen in a long time. Between hunting, snaring coyotes, and work, I spend a ton of time in the field. It’s great to see that you aren’t one of the guys who have to shoot every bird they get a chance at. You’re right though, nothing beats a nice wing shot on a nice plump upland bird.