View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
The percentage of people that get assaulted out of the blue would be an interesting stat. I suspect not being in the wrong place at the wrong time is critical. Unless she walks with the gun drawn any could walk up and wrestle her down.

If a woman has two young kids and the husband travels and she lives in such a bad neighborhood that she needs ready access to a gun...firstly I would move. Safety comes first. Secondly that gun needs to be stored properly because accidental child deaths from guns are significant. So bad even the NRA reluctantly had to appear to help.

Fortunately there is no place in Calgary I would be terrified of and feel I needed a gun. In the stats there are places I would not go even with a gun.
Great to know you'd be able to move. Some people can't. Apparently you don't float at the lower end of the economic spectrum. You may be of better means than others. Telling someone to move out of Forest Lawn if they can't is the equivalent of the "If they do not have bread, let them eat cake" comment commonly misattributed to Marie Antoinette.

And as an addition to the Forest Lawn comment:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/18...nd-sex-attacks

"Staff Sgt. Ryan Jepson said a sexual assault on a woman near 17 Ave. S.E. and Deerfoot Tr. Sunday is one of only a small handful of sex offences committed by a stranger to the victim.

Only 10 — roughly 4% — of the 243 sex assaults reported to police so far in 2012 were allegedly committed by strangers, said Jepson."

This happened last year, and it was apparently a stranger sex attack at night. Why was she in that area? Maybe a poor choice, but maybe a forced economic one. Walking back home in the 'Lawn from a downtown cleaning job perhaps? Totally speculation but either way, you, I and anyone else in this society has no right to tell her she can't have a Taser, OC spray or a firearm to protect herself.

She's pretty lucky to be in that 4%, totally worth risking I am sure! Perhaps you would like to blame this on the skirt she was wearing as well???

Maybe that isn't fair, but I hope you see where I am coming with this. I don't argue for the super tough guy "I wanna carry cause I wanna be an Urban Rambo" types. I argue for this for my wife, my sister my elderly parents etc.

A properly trained ( I am not arguing for just hand them out by the way, like everything else this should be regualted), vetted citizen who understands the respnosibilities involved (IE dont' shoot in crowds- -part of the training) I believe has the right (not legal right in Canada, but more of a moral right) to carry concealed to protect themselves. 100%. No exceptions.

I think you, your wife/husband, sisters brothers parents and friends all deserve this as well. I actually can't believe anyone would argue against it....

Last edited by bigbadjoe108; 01-31-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Missed a quote!!! Can't blame autocorrect this time!