View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 02:53 PM

I have been to just about all of them in the Kananaskis area. To guaranty they are ice free wait until mid July unless previously reported it is.

One trip into Running Rain there was a layer on ice on it when we arrived mid morning. Had lunch and by them time noon rolled around and the sun hit and mostly had melted off. Hundreds of small fish sunning themselves. While fun and more of doing it for the hike vs fishing anything of them are worth it if it's what you like.

Picklejar I would say is one of the easier day trips. Chester, Lillian, Galatea I find are busier on weekends.

Sometimes the hardest part is some route finding earlier as depending on the range snow depths can still be significant and hide the trail.

Burns, Headwall, Shark, Smuts, Rawson, Odlum, Hogarth, and other like lakes are a little more challenging or at least when I visited them they fished that way. Sometimes we had good success. Sometimes not so much. Haha.

Very few have larger fish. I enjoy these spots for the experience of the trip and it's a bonus to get to cast a line when you get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk