View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendofacatahoula View Post
I have been to just about all of them in the Kananaskis area. To guaranty they are ice free wait until mid July unless previously reported it is.

One trip into Running Rain there was a layer on ice on it when we arrived mid morning. Had lunch and by them time noon rolled around and the sun hit and mostly had melted off. Hundreds of small fish sunning themselves. While fun and more of doing it for the hike vs fishing anything of them are worth it if it's what you like.

Picklejar I would say is one of the easier day trips. Chester, Lillian, Galatea I find are busier on weekends.

Sometimes the hardest part is some route finding earlier as depending on the range snow depths can still be significant and hide the trail.

Burns, Headwall, Shark, Smuts, Rawson, Odlum, Hogarth, and other like lakes are a little more challenging or at least when I visited them they fished that way. Sometimes we had good success. Sometimes not so much. Haha.

Very few have larger fish. I enjoy these spots for the experience of the trip and it's a bonus to get to cast a line when you get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I caught my first cutty at Shark ... after I finally found the lake that is; First I took the wrong path and ended up at a dead end. Turned around and found the right path but lost it again when I came to a clearing and could not find the path on the other side so I brought the lake up on my phone and bushwacked through till I found the path again.

Certainly was a day to remember, even though the fish was tiny it still counted and the water was the clearest I have ever experienced. I would definitely say the adventure outweighed the fishing. That's never a bad thing!

Planning on doing Chester first, would like to see if I can knock a new species off the list; hoping to go the 6th or 7th to try and avoid some of the weekend warriors.