View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 01:59 AM
Gone Hunting

I've fished Great Slave lake for over 20 years. The are huge pike in that lake.
Not only huge pike, there are huge Coonies, a species of Whitefish that can top 50 pounds. And there are plenty of Walleye, as well as Goldeye, Grayling and Lake Trout.

I've caught Walleye in one river that feeds the lake but have only targeted Pike in the lake itself.

Mostly we do a four day trip towards the end of May.
Most years we catch one or two in the 16 pound range but this year we took home two at 24+ pounds, one at 18 pounds, one at 17 pounds and three a little under 16 pounds. This was an exceptional year.

I've fished GSL in July a couple of times, the fishing was disappointing.
However, a local guide could probably put one onto fish over 20 pounds without much trouble at any time of year.

Another thing to consider. Some of my co-workers used to fish at Fort Providence on the May long weekend. They reported catching several Pike over 20 pounds every time they went. I have not fished there at that time of year nor have I seen the fish they reported catching so I can not confirm this. However I trust their word.

We fish a place easily accessible to anyone along the south side of the lake. Some of the less fished parts of the lake should produce bigger fish and more of them.

A word of caution though. A group from the High Level area have been making enemies around the southern parts of the Lake so what used to be very friendly locals are now far less then friendly locals.

George Bernard Shaw