View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
I have used both these calibers and you will not see much difference on game. You will see more difference with fit of the gun for your recoil tolerance. I would say find a gun that fits nice and get whatever caliber they have it in. If they have both go 300 Win mag. No replacement for displacement
I have no disagreement about the fit, but between these two cartridges in the same mfg and model, they will be identical. The only difference is the size of the hole in the barrel. They both use the same case.

On the "no replacement for displacement", I agree but suspect we differ on what displacement is in a rifle. My view is that displacement (compared to engine cubic inches) in a cartridge is the case volume. It is not the bore size. The bore size in the analogy compares to the piston size.

So my view is the displacement is the same for these two cartridges, and is the same for the 264 WM, 7mm RM, 300 WM, and the 338 WM as they all use the same case except for the neck diameter.

The difference comes in with the ballistics. The 7mm for the same energy will provide a flatter trajectory and for the same down range energy, less recoil.

That said, probably both are more than enough for North American game, and the reason I suggested the 270 as an alternative to the 7mm RM. Yes, there are short small bore magnums and such, but compare them to the good old 270 and see how much difference there really is.

Ron

Last edited by Ron AKA; 01-24-2008 at 11:02 PM.