View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I have always used the rapala knives but they don't hold an edge (no surprise, they are a $20-30 knife after all).

I keep looking at the bubba blades at work. I might have to give one of them a try.
Are you using the rubber handled ones or the birch handled knifes? I have several older "Made in Finland" birch handled Rapala knives and IMO they hold an edge as well as needed. Mine get put to use several times a week for most of the year, and with a few swipes on the steel between uses they are always shaving sharp.

I don't know if the new ones are the same but the wooden handled Rapala's still say "made in Finland", the rubber handled ones have always been made in China and are junk. I also had a Mora filet knife and it worked pretty good too. If I was in the market for a higher end knife I would go with a good old Canadian Grohman, I have a couple of their hunting knives and am very pleased with the quality.