View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 PM

Default Broadhead tuning question

Shot a couple broadheads today for the first time...was itching to see how they'd fly so I had a go.

Left and right was on perfectly but they were hitting about 3 inches low at 20 yards.

Is there any tuning issue I should be looking at? I ask this because a lot of people say differences in fieldpoint vs broadhead flight have do do with tuning, but in this case the left/right is on 100 per cent, it's just low. I'm not sure what that leaves me with.

I don't have much room for downward compensation with my sight...my setup is almost bottomed out. My guess is setting the vertical adjustment to compensate for the 3 inch drop i'm experiencing with broadheads will leave me with no more downward vertical adjustment, which I don't like but may have to live with.

I was shooting 100 grain montecs and had 100 grain field points on prior.

I'm shooting a Hoyt Charger with 60-pound limbs backed off 1 and 1/2 turns (if anyone has a guess as to what poundage that would leave me at i wouldn't mind hearing...I'm not too sure myself, but it's what I can manage after doing rubber band exercises and then getting into weights. Starting archery reminded me I had a bum-shoulder, but also spurred me to get back to the gym. I'm capable of pulling a bunch more, just not in the direction that archery requires).

Easton axis arrows, 400, cut to 28 inches, 26.5 draw.

Any ideas on what I can do to tune this? or should I just live with being bottomed out with broad heads.

I realize I'm shooting a pretty heavy arrow, but I like the idea of aluminum shafts. I also like the montecs as they seem like an effective, no nonsense deal, but I'm willing to entertain something different if people think that would help.

Thanks as always. I haven't been posting much but have been lurking and keeping up. Hope everybody's summer is good and their hunting season is even better.

BMD