View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
First off - damn you auto-correct ! The title of this thread looks like a two year old did it.

Thanks for the comments. Still nervous about the bones as my Springer cost me 2 X $1500.00 smackaroo’s for emergency removal of the broken canines from working over the bones.

I am going to look up some of the suggested chew toys mentioned as there are a couple I have never heard of.

Lastly, MK2750 you mentioned it’s a nervous habit. This could be spot on as she is a VERY submissive pup. So how does one break a nervous habit? I will see what I find online.

Thanks all.
Kind Regards, Dodger
The habit is formed by giving them chew toys to begin with. All pack animals are going to suffer from separation anxiety to some extent. They go from their litter mates to your family which obviously is stressful. They were not programmed to be alone but we need to leave them for hours on end. If they learn to cope with out the aide of chewing they will have no interest at a later date or on other items.

Wild dogs chew bones for nutrition and to strengthen jaw muscles and teeth. I feed all the nutrients they need and dry kibble keeps teeth and jaws healthy. The only thing they are allowed to carry in their mouth is bumpers and birds. They are not to be chewed or even handled roughly. They think of them as mine not theirs.

Splinters from bones, sticks or plastic can obviously be toxic to a dog but there is other reasons to keep them out of the habit of picking up anything they find. Deadly tape worms and other nasties are becoming more common. I have also heard of idiots leaving chocolate and ex-lax out for dogs.

Just my opinion of course but I think all toys are simply confusing and distracting when raising a dog. "You can chew this, this, this and this but not that!" Even though it is made from the same plastic or leather and smells the same????

Many times I have heard that a person's dog will retrieve Frisbee and tennis balls all day but wont hunt or retrieve birds. If he had never been exposed to toys, the only thing he would know is bird scented bumpers and birds. He would live to hunt because that is all he has ever known.

Again, this is just the way I raise dogs. More people than not love chew toys for their dog and they do keep them occupied.