View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Why is the law there? Is it to prevent dogs from "causing problems"? Not likely or there would be restrictions against all dogs at all times - especially birthing season. The only reason would be an idea that we should not be using dogs in the hunting of big game animals (with the exception of cougar) in Alberta. Dogs are used in the hunting of nearly every species of big game in some way in some part of the world. It is the concept of ethics, fair chase and custom that currently limits us. Open it up and you WILL have folks using dog in their pursuit of Sheep. Successfully or not is open to interpretation just as what constitutes success in the pursuit of game birds with dogs is highly variable. Allowing hunters to be accompanied by dogs would force us to re-evaluate what we as a society would deem to be acceptable in regards to the use of dogs while hunting for big game. Until that debate happens with clearly delineated results the grey areas of enforcement would overshadow any perceived benefits IMO.
I will state first that I would like to have the law adjusted so a person could have their canine companion with them while big game hunting .How many lost animals would be recovered every year if it was allowed ?? You cannot hunt big game in Europe ( for the most part ) without a trained recovery dog.But I think the reason for the problem and law is very simply not the canine , but in the canines human partner....

Last edited by cover; 01-08-2011 at 12:09 PM.