View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 03:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
the same way he could alert you to the presence of sheep out of sight, above your camp. how my hounds react to a cat scent is within the law. yours alerting you to sheep,moose,elk,deer,bear would not be,would it? what your asking for is an unfair advantage over other hunters.
Why wouldn't it be legal if pack dogs are permitted? There is no law currently written in Alberta. As I've stated a few times, I like the way the Yukon deals with it. Dogs smelling the air isn't illegal there or in any other jurisdiction that I'm aware of. Not sure why it would be here.

Don't your hounds give you an unfair advantage? Doesn't a flushing dog offer an unfair advantage? Again, we already use dogs in Alberta....if you want to keep picking the fly crap out of the pepper, fine, my dog could smell a sheep before I do and I'd recognize that behaviour...so what? Are you advocating banning all dogs in hunting? I'm confused nait...why is it okay for some and not others. I see your example of assistance as very weak compared to the assistance that a hound or bird dog offers.