Thread: Braided Lines
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
Well, I was still getting birdsnests when I only had enough line left for a cast plus about 20 yards so I don't think overfilling is the problem.

What is rip retrieving?? Just retrieving too fast?

I don't think the spool's too small. It gives yardages (as in the amount of line to spool onto it) for 8 through 12 lb test. I was using 10 so, it being so thin, I'd think it'd be too small if anything, although that doens't really make sense.

As far as seeing stray loops, that's almost always what happens. I'm used to casting it out with mono so that's what I tried. Clearly...didn't work.

I've heard of the finer braids burying themselves in the spool if you snag/hook a fish and your drag is too tight. I loosened mine off alot but the problem won't go away
thats what ripretrieving does it trenches the line....then the trenched line peels the line off the spool from the inner winds. The stop and go with heavy lures causes a inconsistant wrap. This can be solved some what with a stiffer rod. The floppy soft rods actually make matters worst

the big loop comes from excessive slack when you engage the reel. a common problem with reels with no backstop.
as a experiment hand engage your bail....i almost always do...its a habit from the days went bail springs used to break often