Thread: Braided Lines
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Banned

When castin braid line, always close bail manualy and after that pull the line snug(this is where your loosy goosy loop forms, and on the next cast that loose loop will give out more line than is needed, and voila you have yourself a birdsnest ).

Set your drag just tight enough to have a good hookset, at the end of a hookset it should give out a few clicks of line.

Buy a good quality reel, $100+ shimano/daiwa will work great, you need something that will spool your braid in nice even layers without twist. Braids like faster ratio reels, something over 5.0:1.

Fresh new braid has a lot of memory in it, mostly because of protective coating. You need a good long day of fishing to break it in and get it nice and limp.

When casting make sure you load your rod properly, if your rod is too big or too small for a certain lure it will cause problems for sure.

Your best bang for the money is Power Pro, nothing beats it. I've tried many different braid lines(stren,sufix, spiderbraid,p-line, daiwa tournament/samurai, varivas y8, robinson, trabucco... ), but nothing beats value and performance of powerpro(varivas y8 is awesome, but for that money you better be catching tuna fish with it).

If you do abit of scouting online you can find braid lines for cheap, last time i purchased powerpro was out of Florida at $8 a spool(150yds), it is not always available but when it is i load up.

When spooling on a new braid do not overtightn, just put it through the first guide in your rod(big one above the reel). You do not have to put mono first, just put a thin rubber band over empty spool and attach braid, no worries it will not slip. When spooling your reel just squeeze the line between your index finger and thumb, put just enough pressure to keep any slack out(soaking your fresh spool in some luke warm water helps it seat even better).

Do not lay your braid on the floor when spooling, stick it on a screwdriver and get someone to hold it for you.

Good luck!