View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Play the wind and the lay of the land, you have to know when to run and know when to freeze. If you think you are going slow, go slower.

Commit to it, it all takes time. If you want to get it done with the bow. Put down the rifle and never bring it with you. Accept failure and not using tags. Every blown stalk is a learning experience....use it as such.

LC
That's what I'm after, more of those learning experiences. I get that it's probably 1/50 when learning, but at the current rate I'll be long into the happy hunting grounds in the sky before I get to 50 stalks. We can't hunt moose anymore, general season mulies are next to impossible to get access to, and elk are run to the ends of the earth by every jackazz with a bugle. I've killed a grand total of three animals (moose, mulie, whitetail) from the ground and all were dumb luck.

Workout like a madman. Read everything I can. Shoot my bow at 3D targets, at extended range, multiple times a week. Scout out a good spot. Hunt my brains out for weeks, see one or two animals at 150-200 yards. Sneak in, get to about 90, and then the wind swirls, or a cow barks, or a deer blows out, or they just walk away. repeat next season. With one or two actual chances a year, I'm not getting to the "aha" moment, so I thought I should go somewhere that offers a target rich environment and get that experience level up...?