View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You are assuming that the mortality will come from the hook. The broader picture is that this is a family orientated tourist area that allot of kids will be catching them, dropping them on the ground, kicking them back into the lake, throwing them back in the lake, etc. Not to pick on kids, I can see adults mishandling them as well. Ya gotta think outside the box here.
Understandable point, and a realistic concern. If this proves to be the case there are things that could be done. People could bring this to the attention of SRD or Kananaskis Country and have signs posted to educate people. I'm sure there will be many people who are or will become very passionate about this fishery and will take steps to educate these people, likely by kindly approaching them and offering them a helping hand. Furthermore, some people and groups dedicated to improving our fisheries would potentially provide the cash and time to provide ways of educating these people. It has been done on other waterbodies in the province before, including one individual who paid for and posted many of the regulation signs along central Alberta streams.

At this point it is difficult to know the potential extent of this problem, but I believe that it would be worth it to go ahead with such a plan and then work around the odd hardship rather than avoiding the plan all together. Just my thought.