View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Nobody has attempted to explain it...
Did you miss this post then?

Mutations occur when a new individual is formed. With humans and other vertebrates, this is at conception. (several types including: substitution, deletion, insertion, duplication, repeat expansion, etc) These mutations will then be replicated in almost all the new individuals cells. Last time I checked, in humans, research shows each of us, has between 6-8 resulting genes that neither of our parents possessed.
Most are harmless, some are harmful, a few are fatal, and a small few are even beneficial. So, beneficial mutation (new gene) only takes the time it takes to conceive.
The term beneficial needs to be looked at too as a gene might be helpful in one environment but detrimental in another. This is important as a gene may be carried for hundreds of generations within a species but selective pressures do not increase or decrease its frequency until environmental conditions warrant. (research the gene for sickle cell)
So, to conclude it only takes seconds for a mutation (new gene) to occur. I think you should expand your position based on the last phrase of your post, the part about the percentage of beneficial genes, once you do, I will address that argument with my position.