View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Yes i read it. And from what I read it states 4 from each but only really talks about 3 from the north. 2 mine site herds and the ram mountain herd. This is a very very small portion of the area north of the Bow. To make an assumption that this is the average for the whole area would be false!
Your leaving out alot of areas that have and still produce many rams that at 5 1/2 years old have over 15 4/8 inch bases. Between my Dad and I we have 3 rams and the average base size is 15 7/8". Places like the whiterabbit have some heavy based sheep also. These studies that many guys figure are so accurate arent due to the fact that if your gunna come up with actual averages for the north and south you need to have measurments from all zones in these areas!!

SG
Youre absolutely right, chances are that including the two mine-site WMU's would skew the north data to reflect larger than normal bases. I guess the North must average even smaller bases than portrayed by this study.
Interesting point SG, I didnt think of it until you pointed it out.

Again - the rest of your post here is just your own anecdotal evidence, unless you've done a study we are unaware of...

I will agree that to get true averages you would have to look at all WMU's, but the conclusions drawn are that WMU's with chinook belt climates produce the largest bases - and those climates are predominantly south of the Bow. Unless you disagree that ease of access to winter forage doesnt play a significant factor in horn growth.