View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Sheepguide,I totally agree with you.Sheep are not like deer and other game they are special and those that hunt them should treat them as special.As you have said a full curl rule would increase age structure but would also decrease harvest numbers drasticly.We need better education for sheep hunters in order to promote the harvest of mature rams.
Not saying I disagree with you Hagar but it that case, what would make a big/old one more special than a lower scoring/young one? I hear a lot on this site about it being all about the hunt and trophy size doesn't make it a trophy so why is that different with sheep? A hunt for a young ram can be equally as challenging as that for an old one. As a person that's killed several rams, personally I'd love to see more restrictive regulations that put more old rams on the mountain but score is important to me. But, I don't think that would be fair to new or unsucessful hunters or good for hunters in general. Just curious on your thoughts why we need more old rams if as it seems, populations are healthy. Not saying you're one of them but it seems a few people are trying to work both sides of the trophy arguement...size/age doesn't make it special/trophy....size/age does make it special/trophy. I can't see how the species changes that.