View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Buddy just about did it with his kayak last weekend. Forgot to put plugs back in and didn't realize it until he was half way out in the lake. Had to swim it part way back...

Seen another boat launch and he had just pulled away and was gonna wait for other buddy to park the boat when all of a sudden he started yelling to get the trailer back in the water. Boat was filling up and they had to pull it up on shore to drain it out for a while...

Such a stupid law imo. I understand having to drain the water but the ticket should be regarding having standing water in the boat not the drain plug...
I started my boating life learning to pull the plug every time. Good practice to ensure your boat's not leaking from somewhere and also drains any water that may be sitting in the bilge holding moisture in your boat. I use a key-ring style plug and use a short piece of stainless braided wire and crimp to hold it on so it's always hanging there. Haven't forgot to put it in in 100's, if not 1000's of launches.

I think the whole debacle is pointless really, and I've told every person working a checkstop what I think. Unless they're going to man every entrance point into the province 24/7/365 they may as well pack up and go home.
Every attendant I have asked has at least one story about someone caught with an infestation. I say "with that many cases of infested boats being caught between 9am and 6pm, how many do you think have made it through outside of those hours without being stopped?" Then they stare at you like a deer in the headlights.
The last fish cop I spoke with had the only decent response; "We can't stop it, we're just hoping to prolong it long enough for something to come along that can target them and kill them."
At least he was honest.