Thread: Road Kill
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Banned

Walking Buffalo......Are you on some sort of medication?

You have NO legal right to keep found dead wildlife. F&W decides if you can keep it......Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
If you have found a road-killed animal and would like to salvage the meat, contact the nearest Fish and Wildlife Division district office prior to taking such wildlife into your possession.

Explain the circumstances and where the carcass was found, keeping in mind that approvals to salvage meat are given on a case-by-case basis.

A Fish and Wildlife officer will advise you whether further investigation or inspection of the carcass will be required.
The procedure that you may follow when salvaging roadkill is as I explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
For others......If you find a roadkill or other found dead wildlife that you want to salvage you may do so without prior approval IF you have no phone/phone reception or after AEP working hours when no one is in the office......no need to leave it until you get permission. You must report it ASAP when you have the soonest opportunity to do so. This is in The Wildlife Act and I am Confident that it is accurate. In my district I email the info, recover the roadkill and they contact me with approval when they open the next business day. Other districts may require that you bring the roadkill in for inspection and/or sign paperwork.
This stuff is common dog to many of us Trappers as we actually deal with it all the time and have real life experience with it. Reading regs is great but a better teacher would be for you to go out and salvage a roadkill on your own so you experience firsthand what the procedure is. From you north to Legal and west of hwy 2 is the Stony Plain District.