Thread: Rapala for pike
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
What single hook do you use when swapping out trebles on the LT? Have considered doing this as well. Actually cut one of the hooks off for whitefish fishing and that has worked well. Wouldn’t mind swapping them out to a single though.
So after fairly extensive testing... the 3/4 oz LT and a 3/0 Mustad Siwash work great together. That hook also works great with the 3/4 oz Williams Wabbler spoon, but with the Williams you have to add a a 3" Mr Twister to the hook or it will spin. Adding the Twister is a touchy buisness, switching brands, or even colors the plastic can be stiffer and can change the action of the spoon quite a bit. A silver 3/4 Oz Williams, with a 3/0 Siwash, tipped with a White 3" Mr Twister is a deadly recipe for pike though. One of my top lures around weeds and in shallow water.

Going up to the 1 oz LT I usually go 4/0 or 5/0, but have used 3/0 when I couldnt find them.

On the 1/2 oz size 1/0 or 2/0 will work... and with the 5/8 size I have never found any single hook or single/ trailer combo that does not alter the action for the worse.

In all cases the Siwash hooks, with their shorter shank seem to hook up a bit better than models with longer shanks. The difference being greater with the larger spoons.