View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
So I'll ask you something that I posted on this forum a few years back.

Scenario:

You're a law abiding North American. You like juicy fruit and other chewing gum.

If you travelled to Singapore, what kind of chewing gum would you bring?

The answer is that if you brought chewing gum into Singapore and chewed it on the streets, you would be subject to a fine if caught.

So, as a North American who is a law abiding citizen, would you even have stopped to think that chewing gum would earn you a fine? Would you think to do a specific search on chewing gum in Singapore? Be honest.

I wouldn't have thought about it at all. We chew gum here. Why on earth would it be against the law in any country?

This is exactly what sniderscott is outlining. In many countries around the world, fishing is not regulated and the idea that it would be anywhere else in the world is simply unheard of to them to them. Coming to Canada, they may not even think to research it simply because it seems so absurd that any place would regulate fishing.

On a side note, Singapore now allows the sale and use of medical chewing gums, and you're allowed to bring in and chew whatever you have brought with you. But if you sell it or spit it on the ground......
This is a really good post. I never thought of it this way. Education is key. Are our regs available in other languages? Should they be?

Yes or no the casualty of ignorance is the resource.