View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Numbers 3 and 5 are good ideas. I'll look into those. Thanx.
Fly swaps just don't do it for me.
No use/desire to tie salmon flies (although I think they are beautiful).
#6 Who says I don't already do it, and do it well?
I only tie flies that will spend time in the water. These are serious recommendations.

The 'micro' versions of west-coast steelhead flies can be absolutely deadly on Alberta waters. A classic intruder really benefits from swinging to bring it alive, but the composite loop micro intruders (using standard hook, not a dangling one) can be used anywhere, including bass. Micro composite loop intruders and morrish medusa patterns are my 2 go-to daytime streamer patterns on the Bow. Intruder-styled egg-sucking leeches are a favourite of mine when fishing for the rainbows following spawning salmon.

For night-time hunting it is all about big meat. The Kelly Galloup articulated flies are my first choices. They will also work during the day, but the fish have to be in the right mood. A black sex dungeon brought 90% of my big fish last season. They are awesome and they take me 35-40 minutes to tie one, so it is a great way to just spend time at the vice without producing flies that will not see time on the water.